The roots of Concordia Lutheran Church trace back to Emanuel Lutheran Church in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. A group of thirteen families sought release from the church in 1951 for the purpose of establishing a new Missouri Synod mission congregation in nearby South St. Paul, and held the first meeting for the new church in January, 1952. The two cities had strong ties that continue to this day, and the new church likewise maintained close ties to its sister congregation.
The first worship services were held in the Polish Hall in South St. Paul. Interim services were conducted in a variety of local facilities by several temporary pastors. In June of 1952 the present church property was purchased. Later in 1952, the Reverend Gerhardt Bluhm accepted a call to be the first permanent pastor of the new Concordia Lutheran Church. The first church building, on the site of the present classroom building and Fellowship Hall, was dedicated on May 10, 1953.
By 1961 the congregation had outgrown its original facilities. A new church building, with classrooms and office space, was added in 1962 and the old building became a social hall. Continued growth and increased emphasis on education and fellowship led to extensive remodeling of the 1962 addition and replacement of the old church by modern air-conditioned classrooms, kitchen and Fellowship Hall in April of 1988. Concordia has grown from the original 13 families to its present membership of 487 baptized and 372 communicant members
Eight Pastors have served Concordia since it was founded. Besides Pastor Bluhm (served 1953-1964), these have included the Revs. Martin Seltz (1965-1967), Rueben Meissner (1968-1974), Theodore Braem (1975-1981), Michael Heggen (1982-1994), Neldo Schmidt (1995-2006), John Otte (2007 – 2016), Wm. Keller II (2016 – Present)
Today, Concordia is a dynamic, multigenerational congregation combining the best of traditional and contemporary Lutheranism.
Concordia’s education wing and fellowship hall occupy the east wing of the church (left, above), replacing the original church building